What You Need To Know About Shooting with the RED EPIC
Discover the top 10 things you need to know before you take the RED EPIC camera out on a shoot!
RED Digital’s 5K EPIC camera is a remarkable (albeit unconventional) filmmaking tool. The EPIC has made quite a splash in the production industry for its stunning 5K images, variable frame rates and modular design. However, shooting with the EPIC is much different than using more traditional video cameras. RED’s EPIC has idiosyncrasies that DPs need to be aware of before heading out on a shoot.
Camera assistant Evan Luzi has a lot of experience with the EPIC and shares his knowledge on the blog, TheBlackandBlue. Recently, Evan tackled the top 10 things you need to know before shooting with the RED EPIC in a series of blog posts. This is a must-read post series for any current or future EPIC shooters. Topics covered include:
- How to setup RED EPIC’s black shading calibration
- Pros and cons of REDVOLT batteries and getting the most out of them
- Set up external monitors with two outputs
- Using and understanding the EPIC’s LED indicator lights
- Pitfalls of EPIC’s autofocus and using still lenses
- Creating an update schedule & staying informed of camera capabilities
- Understanding REDCODE and data ratios
- Shooting slow motion footage with RED EPIC
- Equip EPIC to work best for a particular shoot
- Keeping in mind the computer component of the RED EPIC
The EPIC is an awesome camera…if you’re knowledgeable about how to properly use it. Check out this in-depth blog series on RED EPIC’s strengths and weaknesses, and discover how you can use this innovative camera to it’s full potential.
Watch RED’s Epic demo video: