Blackmagic 4K and Pocket Cameras: The Winners of NAB
With a slew of product announcements surrounding NAB 2013, Blackmagic Design stood out with the announcement of their 4K Production Camera and Pocket Cinema Camera.
For the last two years, Blackmagic Design has taken the cake when it comes to product announcements at the NAB Show. In 2012 they made a huge splash with the announcement of their Cinema Camera, a professional digital camera that shoots 2.5K at under $3,000.
The big news at the 2013 show was the addition of two more cameras in this product lineup, a professional production camera with a super-35 sensor that shoots 4K for $4k and a super 16 pocket camera that shoots 1080p RAW for under $1K. For the full specs on these cams see below.
Blackmagic is shaking up the video production and post production industry, making cutting edge professional tools affordable. What do you think of these cams? Share your thoughts in the comments below.
Both cameras are slated to be shipping in July 2013.
Get more specs and details on the product announcement at NoFilmSchool:
Blackmagic Production Camera 4k
- Super 35 size sensor with a global shutter
- Native 3840 x 2160 resolution, optional 1920 x 1080 (via downsampling)
- 12 Stops Of Dynamic Range
- Shoots 23.98/24/25fps, 29.97/30fps, 50i and 59.94i in 1920 x 1080
- EF Mount
- Visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ)
- 21.12 x 11.88mm active sensor area
- 2.5″ SSD
- Thunderbolt and 6G-SDI output
- Built-in touchscreen
- Available in July for $3,995
Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera
- Super 16 1080 HD Sensor
- 13 Stops of Dynamic Range
- Shoots 23.98/24 and 29.97/30 fps
- Active m4/3 mount
- Visually lossless compressed CinemaDNG RAW and ProRes 422 (HQ) to SD cards
- 12.48 x 7.02mm active sensor area
- Shipping in July for $995
- 3.5″ LCD touchscreen
- Removable Battery
- Built in Stereo Mics
- LANC, micro HDMI with overlays