Industry News: Canon Announces Two New 70-200mm Lenses
After much anticipation, we get our first look at the updates to Canon’s popular 70-200mm lens options for video and film professionals.
All images via Canon Inc.
Longtime staples of videography and film production, the Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L II USM and the Canon 70-200mm f/4 USM are both getting updates. These telephoto lens options have been popular for videographers and cinematographers who need to shoot sharp, tight compositions with long range capabilities.
Let’s look at the two new lenses.
Version III has spiffed up its optical design — while keeping its electronics and casing. However, new fluorite and low dispersion elements should give the updated lens more durability. Here are the big additions:
- Optical Image Stabilization at up to 3.5 stops of shake correction.
- Updated Super Spectra coating to reduce internal reflections and heating.
- Air Sphere coating added to rear surface of 19th optical element.
- Fluorine coating added to front and rear lens surfaces for moisture, dust, and smudge resistance.
Expected price: $2,099
Similar to the f/2.8 III, the f/4’s new version will include a full array of coating updates to reduce cooling and help with backlight settings. The f/4 II will also feature some more substantive mechanical updates to its focus, aperture, and stabilization. Here are the additional updates:
- Reduced flare and ghosting effects from updated multi-level coating.
- Closer focusing down to 3.28 feet (previously 3.9 feet).
- Maximum close-up magnification up to 0.27x.
- Image stabilization smoother with 9-blade lens aperture.
- Up to 5 stops of shake correction.
Expected Price: $1,229
Expected shipping date for both lenses is August, 30th 2018. For more information, check out the press release on Canon’s website or their video review. If you’re looking for more news and tips, check out some of the articles below.