Blackmagic Design Releases New DaVinci Resolve 16.2
This update includes lots of new Fairlight audio features, improved editing and color grading functionality, plus a whole lot more.
Blackmagic just rolled out a new version of its beloved DaVinci Resolve post-production software — DaVinci Resolve 16.2. Here’s what the company has to say about the update:
Blackmagic Design today announced DaVinci Resolve 16.2, a new update to the company’s popular edit, color, visual effects and audio post production software that includes major Fairlight updates for audio post production. This new update also includes many improvements for color correction, editing and more so is recommended for all users.
Exciting news, for sure. Let’s take a closer look at a few of the improvements.
New Fairlight Features
With low-cost audio production in mind, Blackmagic essentially supercharged the mouse-and-keyboard experience of working with the Fairlight timeline editing toolset. Video editors will enjoy a faster workflow thanks to the new edit selection mode that unlocks functionality once exclusive to the full Fairlight console. According to Blackmagic’s press release, “The edit selection mode makes adding fades, cuts, and even moving clips only a mouse click away.”
Other highlights include new scalable waveforms that let users zoom in without adjusting the volume, and the ability to render clips with custom sound effects directly from the Fairlight timeline. Today’s update also makes it easier to add multiple audio tracks all at once, vertically and horizontally. Also, users can now convert multichannel tracks into linked groups directly in the timeline, eliminating the need to change clips manually and reimport.
The update also includes added support for frame boundary editing, improved search, sorting, and navigation functionality for the Fairlight Sound Library, improvements in AAF import and export, an improved audio mixing experience, plus (seriously) a whole lot more. (SERIOUSLY.) You’ll find a bullet-pointed list of the extensive improvements to DaVinci Resolve 16.2 at the end of this post.
Video Editing Improvements
Today’s update also features plenty of upgrades to DaVinci Resolve’s editing features. The company improved performance for situations with a large number of audio tracks involved in order to make loading and switching timelines on the edit page faster.
Additionally, the update empowers editors to be more selective with the media they want directly in the edit page. Compound clips can now be made from in and out points.
Other new updates include media pool metadata support for audio files with up to twenty-four embedded channels and the ability to duplicate clips and timelines into the same bin using copy and paste commands. Editors will also have improved stability for collaborative workflows in the color page. And, yes — a whole lot more.
Free (Duh) and Available Now
The free DaVinci Resolve 16.2 update is out now and ready for download. You can read the announcement and explore the long list of improvements on Blackmagic’s site. As promised, a complete list of the update’s new features follows.
What’s new in DaVinci Resolve 16.2 (per BlackmagicDesign.com)
Fairlight timeline editing toolset improvements.
- New mouse and keyboard based editing toolset.
- User adjustable per track scalable waveform display.
- Keyboard shortcut editing actions now include fade, cut, select and move.
- Support for alt/option dragging clips to create a clip copy.
- Support for pasting clips across timelines.
- Support for bouncing individual audio clips to files.
- Support for dragging audio clips to separate tracks using modifiers.
- Support for dragging audio clips to specific positions using modifiers.
- Support for converting multichannel tracks into linked groups.
- Support for a user preference to align audio edits to frame boundaries.
- Support for an action to trim all audio edits to frame boundaries.
Fairlight sound library.
- Release of the Fairlight sound library installer for foley effects.
- Support for searching and displaying sound library description metadata.
Effects and plugin management improvements.
- Automatic sorting of AU and VST audio effects into types and categories.
- Favorite audio plugins are now displayed at the top of the mixer plugin list.
Additional immersive audio support.
- Support for MPEG-H bussing and monitoring in DaVinci Resolve Studio.
- Improved pan and balance including the ability to constrain panning.
Track Index improvements.
- Support for the edit index in the Fairlight page.
- Drag selection of tracks, mute, solo and record controls in the track index.
- Drag and drop reordering of audio tracks in the track index.
AAF import/export improvements.
- Support for importing AAF sequences as new tracks in an existing timeline.
- Support for importing AAF sequences with an offset to an existing timeline.
- Support for importing multichannel tracks from an AAF as linked groups.
- Support for broadcast wave files when exporting an embedded AAF.
- Support for exporting audio cross fades and fade handles in AAF files.
Audio mixing improvements.
- Support for additional notch filters in clip EQ.
- Support for new FairlightFX Meters.
- Support for new FairlightFX LFE Filter.
Fairlight Audio Editor improvements.
- Support for dedicated controls for panning up and down.
- Support for editing clip EQ.
- Support for copying and pasting clip EQ.
- Support for creating and applying presets for clip EQ.
- Support for adding, managing and custom mapping of plugin parameters.
- Support for changing relative clip levels.
- Support for resetting clip levels to unity.
- Support for editing fade shapes and deleting fades.
- Support for saving and recalling user defined track view presets.
- Support for enabling layered audio editing from the desktop audio editor.
- Support for choosing automation curves from the editor panel or console.
- Improved behavior when moving track selection with no tracks selected.
- Support for improved timecode entry and high frame rate timecode.
- Support for entering relative timecode values.
- Support for inserting 00 in timecode entry by using the colon key.
- Support for master spill on console faders.
- Support for finer adjustment of controls using the mouse or audio editor.
- Support for media left and media right selection keys.
- Support for a text-only labels mode.
- Support for a traditional Fairlight keyboard layout.
Improved support for legacy Fairlight project import.
- Improved import of EQ, automation and fade from legacy Fairlight projects.
- Improved speed when importing large legacy Fairlight projects.
- Improved performance when switching to large timelines with many tracks.
- Support for creating a compound clip from an in-out range in the timeline.
- Support for previewing timeline audio during live overwrites of video edits.
- Support for editing individual angles to the timeline from a multi-cam viewer.
- Support for updating clip duration display while editing in the cut page.
- Support for a change transition duration dialog.
- Support for viewing duration in frames or timecode format in the viewers.
- Support for Fusion transition templates in the edit page.
- Support for Fusion generator templates in the edit page.
- Support for timeline view options per system in collaborative projects.
Media Pool improvements.
- Improved audio track metadata support with support for up to 24 tracks.
- Support for duplicated clips and timelines being placed in the source bin.
- Support for sorting media pool clips by date added.
- Support for showing synced audio filenames in the media pool list view.
- Support for revealing the media pool location of a clip from a smart bin.
- Support for a media pool context menu to duplicate clips and timelines.
- Support for only additional files when repeating media management copies.
Color grading improvements.
- Multiple stability and usability improvements for collaborative projects.
- Support for smart filters based on keywords and people metadata tags.
- Support for modifying primary grade values using numerical values.
- Support for retaining out of range data when monitoring at video levels.
- Support for Fusion MediaOut name tooltips on the node graph inputs.
- Support for feet and frames data burn-in options.
- Support for disabling output sizing and blanking for individual clip renders.
- Support option for showing scopes at video level and data level.
- Support for HLG gamma when using HDR scopes.
- Support for highlighting the color viewer qualifier position in the scopes.
- Support for Blackmagic RAW SDK 1.7.
- Support for rendering audio only timelines.
- Support for decoding 32 bit floating point audio.
- Improved support for color space and gamma when decoding H.265 clips.
- Support for displaying EXR codec name based on compression method.
- Support for overriding the color space and gamma tags in render settings.
- Support for RED SDK 7.2.1 and decoding clips from the Komodo camera.
- Support for two new parameters in the RED camera raw settings.
- Support for REDWideGamut Log3G10 IDT for ACES projects.
- Support for the Canon EOS-1D X Mark III camera.
- Support for decoding u-Law Audio in QuickTime clips.
- Support for alpha channel clips with the bypass re-encode option.
Scripting, API and general improvements.
- Support for running the primary screen as a window in dual screen mode.
- Improved scripting API with the ability to close an open project.
- Improved scripting API to set frame rate for media pool clips.
- Support for new scripting functions to return ordered lists.
- Support for video monitoring advance and delay on the Fairlight page.
- Support for GPI/GPO control on the Fairlight Audio Interface.
- Multiple performance and stability improvements.