A Cheat Sheet for Social Media Video Aspect Ratios
Creating videos to publish on social media? Keep up with the latest aspect ratio settings with this handy reference guide.
There’s no doubt that social media is changing the online video game. Once arbitrary, the aspect ratios for these platforms are now transforming the media we create. Since viewers now encounter the the majority of the content we create on smart phones, it’s essential to keep up with social media trends and settings.
If you work in the commercial world at all, you’ve probably already come across this shifting landscape. Many filmmakers and videographers are shooting advertisements in a way that they can utilize for multiple viewing platforms.
In the past, platforms like Instagram used to be for amateur work; however, it is now a leading platform where a majority of visual artists promote themselves and their work. Breaking out of the 16:9 cinematic box (quite literally!) might seem wrong at first, but it can actually be quite freeing for your work.
Get out of your comfort zone, and give a vertical crop a go on your next shoot!
- Facebook supports a variety of formats, including 16:9, 1:1 (carousel), 4:5, 2:3, and 9:16.
- 4:5, 2:3, and 9:16 can be the most engaging since people tend to hold their phones upright (vertically) when using this app.
- Recommended Resolutions: 1080 x 1920 or 1920 x 1080.
- Supported ratios: 1:1 (square), 4:5 (vertical), 1.9:1 (1080 x 566), or 16:9 (landscape).
- Instagram Story requires 9:16.
- Recommended resolutions: 1920 x 1080 or 1080 x 1350 (for vertical).
- Supported ratios: 9:16.
- Recommended Resolution: 1080 x 1920.
- Supported ratios: anything from 1:2:39 to 39:2:1.
- Recommended resolutions: landscape = 1280 x 720; Portrait = 640 x 640.
And, just for fun, here is some more helpful information for uploading content to these outlets:
Looking for more social media video tips and tricks? Check out these articles.