Video In Text Effect in Premiere Pro and After Effects
Playing video through text is a popular look and easy to create in Premiere Pro and After Effects. In this post we’ll show you how.
Spice up the text in your project by combining it with video. In your video editing application you can set add video into your text by using the track matte, or traveling matte. First we’ll look at how to create this ‘video in text effect‘ in Premiere Pro and then After Effects.
Video In Text Effect Premiere Pro
1. Put the video/image to be the background on V1.
2. Put the Video to play through the text on V2.
3. Create a Title (Title > New Title > Default Still) and put it on V3. Use a large, thick font for better readability.
4. Apply the Track Matte Key: Effect to V2. Set the matte to Video 3. Leave “Composite Using” set to Matte Alpha.
5. Apply drop shadow effect to V2 for better readability.
Video In Text Effect After Effects
1. Put the video/image to be the background on the bottom.
2. Put the Video to play through the text in the middle, on layer 2.
3. Create text (Layer> New > Text) and put it on top (layer 1). Use a large, thick font for better readability.
4. Click “Toggle Switches Modes” if you don’t see Mode and TrkMat.
5. Change the Mode for layer 2 (middle layer) to “Alpha Matte”. It will look at the alpha channel of the layer above it.
6. Right click on layer 2 (middle layer), and select Layer Styles > Drop Shadow.
7. If you want to apply an effect and not a layer style, you need to pre-compose the 2 top layers first (right-click and select pre-compose).
8. Apply the desired Effect to the pre-comp (it is a composition and appears as one layer). Double click on the pre-comp to open it and make any changes.