How to Add LUTs in Premiere Pro (And 35 Free LUTs)
Learn how to add LUTs to the Premiere Pro dropdown menu — with 35 Free LUTs.
Top image via Shutterstock.
A LUT (Look Up Table) is an incredibly simple way to color grade footage. Whether you are applying a LUT to grade standard footage or using LUTs to bring color back to Log footage, you can do so easily in Premiere Pro using the Color workspace.
In this step-by-step walkthrough, I’ll show you how to apply a single LUT in Premiere Pro and then how to add your favorite LUTs to the dropdown menu.
To follow along, you are going to need some LUTs to install. Unlike the 14 free Hollywood Lumetri Look files that we have given away in the past, LUT files are .CUBE files that actually work in a variety of programs. Looks are limited to Premiere Pro, but you can use LUTs in Premiere Pro, After Effects, Photoshop, DaVinci Resolve, Final Cut Pro X, and others.
Applying LUTs in Premiere Pro CC 2017
If you are just applying a single LUT to your footage, an easy approach is to use the Browse… function and select the LUT from your downloads folder.
In Premiere Pro, open the Color workspace by clicking the Color tab at the top center of Premiere Pro.
- Click on the clip you want to work with.
- In the Lumetri panel, open the Basic Correction tab.
- Under Basic Correction, select the Input LUT dropdown menu, and click on Browse…
- Go to the 35 Free LUTs folder and select the LUT of your choice.
If you want your favorite LUTs in the Premiere Pro dropdown menu, follow these steps for Mac and PC.
Mac: Add LUTs to Premiere Pro Dropdown Menu
1. Open a new Finder Window and go to Applications. Open the Adobe Premiere Pro CC folder.
2. Hold Command and click on Adobe Premiere CC. Select Show Package Contents,then open Contents.
3. Open the Lumetri folder. Open the LUTs folder, then open the Technical folder.
4. Drag and drop the 35 Free LUTs .CUBE files into the Technical folder.
5. Restart Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
6. In the Color panel, go to Basic Correction, select the Input LUT dropdown menu, and the 35 Free LUTs will be available.
PC: Add LUTs to Premiere Pro’s Dropdown Menu
The same rules apply as the Mac workflow, but the folder structure is slightly different.
- Go to the C:// folder, open Program Files, open Adobe, then open Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
- Open the Lumetri folder, open the LUTs folder, then open the Technical folder.
- Drag and drop the 35 Free LUTs .CUBE files into the Technical folder.
- Restart Adobe Premiere Pro CC.
- In the Color Panel, go to Basic Correction, select the Input LUT dropdown menu, and the 35 Free LUTs will be available.
Want more on LUTs and color grading? Let us know in the comments below.