What Does Everyone Do On Set?
What are all those job titles you see in the credits? This video breaks them all down.
Top image via Shutterstock.
After quite the hiatus, FilmmakerIQ is back with some great new content. This new video tutorial is packed with knowledge, and it even comes with a course on the Filmmaker IQ website. In a nearly 30-minute breakdown, John P. Hess takes you through nearly every single job title.
Jobs divide into two rough categories: above the line and below the line. Above the line cast and crew members receive a negotiated set rate or percentage of gross, regardless of the number of shooting days. Below the line jobs are contracts based on the needs of production.
The tutorial breaks out roles into the following categories, which you can quiz yourself on after the video.
- Above the Line Positions
- Positions in Front of the Camera
- Production Office Positions
- Pre-production Positions
- Directing Team
- Camera and Sound Departments
- Lighting and Grip Departments
- Art Department
- Post-production Positions
Image: Naked Gun 2 1/2 credits via Paramount Pictures.
You can dive further into production departments with these film crew breakdowns.
- Camera Crew Breakdown: Jobs and Responsibilities
- What Does a Film Producer Do?
- Grips, Gaffers, and Best Boys: The Grip and Electric Departments
- The Evolving Role of a Digital Imaging Technician
Do you have experience working various jobs on set? Let us know in the comments.